Natural herbs have been a part of several ancient and traditional remedies. Recent scientific discoveries are providing evidence that these herbs play an important role in boosting immunity and preventing several chronic disorders.
Research has shown that herbs have a variety of compounds such as phytosterols, saponins, flavonoids, triterpenes, and carotenoids, which are known to be chemo-protective from the studies done on fruits and vegetables. 
In a world where we are constantly at risk of developing infections, a healthy functioning immune system is indispensable for maintaining good health.
Your immune system plays a vital role in protecting your body against various pathogens like viruses, fungus, bacteria, and other parasites. The immune system uses a wide range of mechanisms to protect your body against various toxins and organisms.
The primary immune response is triggered when an antigen enters your body through the mucosal surfaces for the first time. The immune response has to identify the antigen and prepare an antibody against it.
The introduction of these antigens also induces the production of memory cells in your body that store the necessary information required to fight the pathogens in case of secondary infection. ,
Herbs that Boost Primary Immunity
A lot of research has gone into whether herbs can offer viable protection against common diseases. Some of the well-researched herbs that boost immunity and can help you combat the common cold and flu are as follows:
Garlic is often known as the poor man's penicillin because it is rich in antioxidants and helps maintain the normal functioning of the cardiovascular system. It also offers protection to the liver against many diseases.
Garlic is the best food to use as a medicine as it is selective with its effects when used as an antimicrobial agent against parasites and candida. This shows that the consumption of garlic does not harm beneficial microflora when acting as antibiotics.
Research has shown that garlic has been reported to decrease the common cold by 63%. It also helped in managing the symptoms and improved the recovery time significantly in comparison to placebos. 
2. Medicinal Mushrooms
Various kinds of mushrooms can help in boosting the primary immune response, such as:
- Maitake (Grifola frondosa)
- Reishi (Ganoderma lucidum)
- Cordyceps (Cordyceps Sinensis)
- Shiitake (Lentinula edodes)
- Chaga (Inonotus obliquus)
- Coriolus (Coriolus Versicolor)
Mushrooms have been popularly used for medicinal purposes all over Europe, Asia, and Russia as they are rich in antiviral properties and are widely known for their immune modulation.
Different kinds of mushrooms correspond to various health benefits. Cordyceps are responsible for improving the respiratory system and acting as bronchodilators, and shiitake and reishi are best known for their antiviral properties. 
Ayurvedic medicine has been using multipurpose herbs like Giloy for many years. Giloy has many benefits, some of which are:
- Purification of the blood
- Removal of toxins present in your body
- Offers protection against disease-causing bacteria
Giloy has numerous beneficial antioxidant properties that enhance your body's primary immune response and optimal health. They include :
- Boosting immunity
- Improving digestion
- Offers treatment for diabetes
- Offers treatment for chronic fever
- Decreases levels of stress and anxiety
- Helps manage symptoms of arthritis
- Clears up vision
- Helps respiratory problems
- It is an excellent anti-aging agent
Incorporating Giloy into your morning meal will do wonders for your health as it is antipyretic and offers protection against common infectious conditions such as malaria, dengue, and swine flu. 
Elderberry has a rich history of being used to treat and prevent the symptoms of many diseases, such as:
- Herpes simplex
- Colds and sinusitis
- Antiviral activity against influenza virus
A meta-analysis of 4 randomized clinical trials of 180 participants reported that when patients were supplemented with elderberry, they showed a significant decrease in their upper respiratory symptoms such as:
- Sore throat
- Nasal congestion
Elderberry has been known to be more effective in decreasing the duration of influenza and the common cold. ,
There are no reported drawbacks of using elderberry, but it is advised that you boil them before using them for home remedies.
Turmeric is possibly the oldest herb that is being used for medicinal purposes. It is widely known for its numerous health benefits and helps combat various ailments.
Turmeric is composed of many beneficial compounds, one of which is cumin, which is known for its immune-boosting properties. It strengthens the primary immune response of your body.
Cumin helps your body with its white blood cell activation, which leads to an improvement in your body's antibody response.
It is popularly known for its anti-inflammatory properties. There is strong evidence indicating that turmeric plays a vital role in preventing some illnesses such as:
- Relieving arthritis pain
- Helping in managing symptoms of Alzheimer's ,
Cinnamon has been used for medicinal purposes for hundreds of years. It was not long ago that it was considered extremely rare and was a gift only fit for the kings.
Cinnamon is rich in a compound called cinnamaldehyde, which scientists believe is the reason for its health-friendly and metabolic properties.
Cinnamon is rich in antioxidants, which help your body fight off free radicals.
In a study, cinnamon was compared with 26 other spices, and it still came out on top. It is used as a natural preservative because of its anti-oxidative activity. It is also known for its potent anti-inflammatory properties, which help your body ward off infections and repair tissue damage.
Some other benefits of cinnamon include:
- Anti-diabetic effects
- Immune-boosting antioxidants
- Help cut the risk of heart disease ,
Though this herb has been used for various purposes over time, the most traditional use of the herb is to prevent infections like the upper respiratory tract infection.
Besides the ability to strengthen your immunity, it can also be used to treat:
- Aid in the detoxification
- Infections (such as bladder infection)
- Support connective tissue regeneration
- Support wound healing (for example, in skin conditions like eczema)
- Elimination of accumulated wastes
- Support lymphatic health
- Reduce inflammation 
Some Products with Natural Herbs
Since using natural herbs and making home remedies is not for everyone, there are many high-quality supplements available in the market that will do the job for you. Some of them are listed here:
1. Turmeric Curcumin (with black pepper & ginger)
The only product in the market using GMP certified 3rd party testing facilities that have
- Gluten-Free Certified
- No Fillers or Allergens.
Capsules contain an organic ginger blend for synergistic effects that:
- Reduce muscle pain
The capsule also has many other organic anti-inflammatory properties such as:
- Joint and muscle health
- Promotes cognitive function and memory
- Regulates digestive function
- Gut health
- Supports immune response 
2. Moringa Leaf
Rich in natural amino acids, magnesium, minerals, and vitamins - BeHerbal's moringa leaf is the perfect addition to your morning breakfast. It does not have artificial binders or fillers and is antibiotic as well as hormone-free. The supplement is also vegan friendly and contains no allergens, which makes it ideal for everybody.
Moringa helps combat signs of aging as it is filled with antioxidants that help repair, nurture, and protect your skin against all signs of aging.
The moringa leaf capsule is a rich source of phytonutrients and amino acids that our body cannot produce.
This supplement is loaded with Vitamins A, B, and C for hair growth. It offers plenty of magnesium and iron for reducing lethargy and boosting metabolism. Zinc helps to support a healthy immune system. 
Chlorella is a known superfood that has a rich nutritional profile of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.
It has a potent growth factor that helps it reverse aging and maximize cellular health.
It is also rich in various peptides and polysaccharides that promote systemic health and rejuvenation. 
This article aimed to shed light on the importance of having a healthy and active immune response system.
Your immune system plays a key role in protecting your body against many harmful infections and diseases, so it is your responsibility to ensure that your immune system is working as promptly as possible.
There are plenty of ways to boost your primary immune response. Some of which are listed above that make use of natural herbs and supplements. This is a widespread practice these days, and a lot of these herbs are already being incorporated in your diets through recipes that were passed down from generation to generation. The ultimate aim is to live a healthy and long life.
- Khodadadi S. Role of herbal medicine in boosting the immune system. Immunopathol Persa. 2015;1(1):e01.
- Chaplin D. D. (2010). Overview of the immune response. The Journal of allergy and clinical immunology, 125(2 Suppl 2), S3–S23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaci.2009.12.980
- Josling P. (2001). Preventing the common cold with a garlic supplement: a double-blind, placebo-controlled survey. Advances in therapy, 18(4), 189–193. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02850113
- Nantz, M. P., Rowe, C. A., Muller, C. E., Creasy, R. A., Stanilka, J. M., & Percival, S. S. (2012). Supplementation with aged garlic extract improves both NK and γδ-T cell function and reduces the severity of cold and flu symptoms: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled nutrition intervention. Clinical nutrition (Edinburgh, Scotland), 31(3), 337–344. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2011.11.019
- 10 Amazing Benefits of Giloy: The Ayurvedic Root of Immortality. (2020, March 11). Retrieved August 18, 2020, from https://food.ndtv.com/health/10-amazing-benefits-of-giloy-the-root-of-immortality-1434732
- com. (2020, April 17). Immune Boosting Herbs: 8 Herbs and Seeds that Can Boost Your Immunity: Seeds to Boost Immune System. Retrieved August 18, 2020, from https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/home-remedies/8-herbs-and-seeds-that-can-boost-your-immunity/photostory/75200207.cms?picid=75200447
- BNatMed, L. (2020, July 03). 5 herbs to boost the immune system naturally. Retrieved August 18, 2020, from https://ascensionkitchen.com/herbs-to-boost-the-immune-system/ 8. 12 Natural Ways to Boost Your Immune System. (n.d.). Retrieved August 18, 2020, from https://www.urologyofva.net/articles/category/healthy-living/4092077/12-natural-ways-to-boost-your-immune-system
- 12 Natural Ways to Boost Your Immune System. (n.d.). Retrieved August 18, 2020, from https://www.urologyofva.net/articles/category/healthy-living/4092077/12-natural-ways-to-boost-your-immune-system
- Hawkins, J., Baker, C., Cherry, L., & Dunne, E. (2019). Black elderberry (Sambucus nigra) supplementation effectively treats upper respiratory symptoms: A meta-analysis of randomized, controlled clinical trials. Complementary therapies in medicine, 42, 361–365. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2018.12.004
- Torbati, M., Nazemiyeh, H., Lotfipour, F., Nemati, M., Asnaashari, S., & Fathiazad, F. (2014). Chemical composition and in vitro antioxidant and antibacterial activity of Heracleum transcaucasicum and Heracleum anisactis roots essential oil. BioImpacts: BI, 4(2), 69–74. https://doi.org/10.5681/bi.2014.004
- Be Herbal®. (n.d.). Organic Turmeric Curcumin Pills with Black Pepper & Ginger - 1500 mg - 60 veg capsules. Retrieved August 18, 2020, from https://www.beherbal.com/products/organic-turmeric-pills-with-black-pepper
- Be Herbal®. (n.d.). Moringa Leaf 800mg. Retrieved August 18, 2020, from https://www.beherbal.com/products/moringa-leaf-800mg?_pos=2
- Be Herbal®. (n.d.). Chlorella 500mg - Clean Superfood. Retrieved August 18, 2020, from https://www.beherbal.com/products/chlorella-superfood?_pos=1